By default a Vimeo embed in WordPress is not responsive. However there’s a way to tweak the iframe embed code with one click to make it responsive.
There are several ways to embed Vimeo videos in wordPress. The simplest is to paste the URL of the video in your post. Or you can grab the embed code from the video settings and paste that.
Responsive Vimeo Embed – the Easy Way
However there’s a much easier way to embed a responsive Vimeo video that does not involve coding or using plugins. With just a couple of clicks on the Vimeo website you can tweak the embed code to show a responsive video that sizes correctly for all screen sizes and mobile devices.
Here’s how to do it.
1. Select the video on the Vimeo website.
2. Click on the Sharing plane icon.
3. In the “Share this video” box that appears, click on “Show options” just above the Embed code
4. Size: Select “Responsive”.
5. Special stuff: Deselect “Show text link underneath this video”
6. Now click anywhere in the Embed code box above, to select the code. Copy it to the clipboard and paste it in your WordPress editor. Make sure you select the “Text” tab before you paste the code.
Here’s a little video to demonstrate how to embed a responsive Vimeo video.
And here are before and after videos to demonstrate the difference.
The first video has been embedded using the video URL:
The second video has been embedded using the procedure I’ve described. Try adjusting your screen size or viewing on a mobile to see the difference.
P.S. Having watched the video if you’re interested: Mailerlite is free for up to 1,000 subscribers and only $20 per month for 5,000 (compared to $79 for Convertkit). Subscribers only count once and unsubscribes no longer count towards the fee.